Sunday, February 17, 2008

Illness

We've been dealing with illness in the family lately. Sore throats, coughing, sneezing, migraines, fever, nasal congestion, and some stomach problems too. Karen missed a couple days of work last week and I was ill for a few of my days off work. I think Zach was first, although his symptoms, except for a cough, lasted only a short while and never showed him down. I still have a cough. Kate was ill also. The adults, especially the grandparents, have been moving in slow motion, sluggishly slipping from bed to sofa and from recliner to love seat, resting leisurely at each one. Taking more and longer naps than usual. Not sleeping as well at night. One day recently when it was 44 degrees outside with a stiff wind and I was the only one home I did what I've been doing for many years. I changed the air in the house. I turned off the heat and opened all the windows and doors, let the wind blow through, flushing all the stale, germ-laded air molecules out the window and down the street. I can't prove that made our house healthier, because that was before Karen got sick. If necessary I'll dig out an old fly swatter and start swatting the germs whenever I see them. It's time for them to move on. They've overstayed this illusion of a welcome they thought they had.

No comments: